Monday, April 30, 2012

Typing Russian characters with virtual keyboards

If you want to learn Russian online, you need to type Russian (cyrillic) characters.

All modern operating systems offer the ability to add so-called "virtual" keyboard layouts to the default one: if your computer has a US QWERTY keyboard, adding additional virtual keyboards allow you to get a French AZERTY keyboard with French accents and special letters like ç, or a Russian keyboard with all its Cyrillic characters.

On my Mac, a setting in the Language & Text preferences menu allows me to define various input sources. I added Russian, which gives me a real Russian keyboard layout :



Here is also a spreadsheet view. On my Windows 7 machine, the lower and upper case "ё" is located to the left of number 1, instead of the bracket sign which I couldn't find, even by playing with the Ctrl or Alt keys. Overall, I like the Mac layout, even if I find the dot and comma are oddly placed at the top. 

More Mac-gic: I also found an option called Russian - Phonetics, which follows an AZERTY model with a few differences and may spare you some time learning the specific Russian layout above.



Windows users don't have this option by default, there seems to be a few softwares that do this (Google search results). Frankly, you might be better off learning the Russian layout.


No comments:

Post a Comment