Monday, April 30, 2012

The Common European Framework for Languages


So, according to vocabulary tests I did on Busuu, I'm currently at level A2, for which they suggested I study level B1. As I'm not sure which vocabulary I'm expected to know at which level, I went back to the Common European Framework for Languages to get a better understanding.

Very odd, at first look this framework is pretty self-centered: it's all about me me me and my ability to describe more and more about myself, my needs, background, etc... Philosophically, the study of languages should be defined around discovering others and their culture, through the language. My opinion is that it should be more visible in the framework. I wonder if the self-centric view is distorting the way we're taught languages...

Anyway, here are the objectives for the first four levels and some comments.



A1
Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type
Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has
Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help. 

I am going to dig a bit deeper on expressing needs in Russian. Need to check numbers. 

Suggested required phrases
Hi, good evening, thank you, where is restaurant, toilets, I want water and two beers, please.
My name is, I live in Paris, I know a few people, I'm a translator, I have two computers and no pet.
Please speak slowly, can you repeat your name ?


A2
Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). 
Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters
Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

Getting more descriptive, need to add more adjectives and adverbs. Need to define better these areas of most immediate relevance with places, people, action verbs, descriptions (adjectives + nouns).

Suggested required phrases
So, your father owns a supermarket in the centre of Moscow. I want to go on holidays. 
How much is this ? Can I have two tickets ? I think it's raining, do you have an umbrella ? When do you open ?
I studied Russian at university (10 years ago), I have one brother. This is delicious, it's far from here. This is a beautiful house. 



B1
Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. 
Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in an area where the language is spoken.
Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.

That's getting serious. Even if simple text, at this stage you need to write properly, i.e. with correct word order, verbs, cases and word endings need to be polished. 

Suggested required phrases
I've been studying Russian for a week. I love cooking and sports.
Excuse me, my luggage hasn't arrived, when can you deliver it to my hotel ? 
I would love to go around the world and meet tons of people, who could share their view of the world. What do you think of global warming, what do you think we can do to stop it ?



B2
Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization. 
Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. 
Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

At this stage, I should be able to understand jokes and show my good sense of humor. Reading the newspaper without effort and Google Translate should also be possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment