Monday, April 30, 2012

Is Busuu a good way to learn a language ? First impressions...

I just completed the first lesson at Busuu.com, B1 module, Express your opinion ("Выскажи своё мнение"), and here are my first impressions...

Learning interface
The Busuu user interface is simple and effective, menus are well structured and easy to navigate. The design could be improved though: part social network, part online video game, there are plenty of examples available to make it more modern.

The content
I'm a little surprised by my first lesson. It's a series of verbs to help you express opinions : to suggest, to recognize, to approve, etc. Although certainly useful, it's a little puzzling why Busuu chose to start with this kind of vocabulary. I would have liked something else, but I can't define what.

Progression
To move on to the next lesson (level), you need to 1) translate a little piece of text, typically using vocabulary learnt during the lesson, select a corrector, then 2) correct the text written by another student.

No comments:

Post a Comment